Skip to main content

The Future of News


What do I want to do as a journalist? I’d love to be an opinion writer. Columns, editorials, and reviews; I mean, who wouldn’t really? In high school I really loved page design (maybe it’s my ultra-Mormon habit of scrapbooking that makes me love it so much.) I did a little bit of editing, though I think I throw myself into other people’s work more than they appreciate. Being a photographer would be fantastic! National Geographic would be a dream. So would being a sports photographer. Front-and-center seats + free ticket = awesome awesome awesome job. Even being an anchor would be cool! I would get to wear those fabulous lady pant suits and have my hair done up just a little too foofy for my own good.

When I tell people the only thing I’ve ever really wanted to do is journalism – though what part of it I’m obviously not decided upon – they wonder why I want to spend my college career (and money) going into a field that is allegedly dying.

Journalism isn’t dying though! It is simply evolving. Like the article we read talks about, because of new technology and the changes in the business atmosphere, newspapers are not as popular as they used to be. But journalism isn’t just a newspaper, it’s the act of discovering what the in the world is going on… in the world! What is so awesome about journalism is that the possibility for its future is endless! ENDLESS!! So duh… that’s why I’m going into journalism. 

Comments